Spring 2021 “Wellness Wednesdays” and Grading

Spring 2021 “Wellness Wednesdays”
Frequently Asked Questions

The University released a revised Spring 2021 academic calendar in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the semester started a week later than originally planned and does not include a week-long Spring Break, two “Wellness Wednesdays” were scheduled to provide students with some relief from their weekly class routine during the semester.

No classes or exams will be held on Wellness Wednesdays (March 3 and April 14).

However, in order to comply with federal requirements, this class time must be made up through additional out-of-class assignments or asynchronous1 instruction. In rare cases, some courses may need to make up the time through synchronous2 instruction because specific equipment or facilities are needed, or because of external accreditation requirements. In these cases, the make-up course must be held on the specified Saturday (Feb. 20 for March 3; March 20 for April 14) and at the same time of day as the course typically occurs. Each course instructor will indicate how the Wellness Wednesdays will be made up on the course syllabus/schedule.

1Asynchronous instruction is when the course instructor provides students with recorded lectures or other course activities that the student can participate in on their own time.

2Synchronous instruction is when the course instructor and the students are meeting at the same time.

Open All Tabs

Spring 2021 Semester Grading
Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Tabs
  • Will courses be graded as Credit/No Credit for the Spring 2021 semester?

    • Spring semester classes will follow the conventional grading rubric. Should there be a major disruption during the spring semester, the University leadership, deans, and Faculty Senate will consider the appropriate grade change policy. At this time, courses needed for your degree, major, or minor requirements cannot be taken as Credit/No Credit and will be graded using the standard letter grade system. The University may consider offering Credit/No Credit grading for these classes only if a major disruption occurs to the academic calendar and upon the appropriate approvals by the Faculty Senate and others.

  • Can I take a specific class for Credit/No Credit instead of a letter grade?

    • Generally, students are only able to take a class for Credit/No Credit if that class is a free elective (i.e., it is not needed to fulfill your degree, major, or minor). You are also limited in the number of Credit/No Credit courses you can take. More information can be found in the University Bulletin.

  • How do I register for a course for Credit/No Credit?

    • To register for a course as Credit/No Credit, check with your advisor first to confirm the course is a free elective. You must have designated this course as Credit/No Credit by the Spring 2021 deadline of Feb. 9 as is listed on the academic calendar. After this deadline, you are unable to switch the grading system used for a particular course, including after the semester is over.

  • What is the difference between Credit/No Credit and Pass/Fail?

    • Pass/Fail grades have quality points associated with them and, therefore, are calculated into your term and cumulative grade point averages (GPA). Courses that you take as Credit/No Credit only award credit hours if you receive a C or higher but no credit hours if you receive a C- or lower. Regardless of what your grade would have been, the grade is not calculated into your GPA.

  • Can I request an Incomplete (I) grade if I need extra time for a course?

    • Incomplete grades are awarded if a student has an unusual circumstance that prevents them from completing the coursework during the semester. Incomplete grades, given at the discretion of the faculty member, may only be given if the student meets the following conditions:
      • Has attended class and completed at least 50% of the coursework;
      • Has a passing grade or is in good standing in the course;
      • Has corresponded with the faculty member to determine the work that must be submitted;
      • Has agreed with the faculty member on a due date (no more than one year from the date the Incomplete grade is submitted).

  • How long do I have to finish the work agreed upon with an Incomplete grade?

    • The timeline for an Incomplete grade to be completed is determined by the faculty member and the student when the Incomplete is assigned. However, the timeline may not be longer than one calendar year from the date the Incomplete grade is awarded.

  • How does an Incomplete grade affect my academic record?

    • An Incomplete (I) on a transcript does not calculate into your GPA; it is simply a placeholder until the final grade is awarded. Additionally, since the grade is incomplete, no credit hours are awarded. For example, if you enrolled in 15 credits in a semester and passed your courses but have an Incomplete in a three-credit course, you will only have earned 12 credits until the Incomplete is changed to a letter grade.

      Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) can be negatively impacted if you have Incomplete grades and could affect your ability to continue receiving financial aid in future terms. Students are expected to meet specific progress standards to continue receiving financial aid and each aid type has different requirements. Courses with Incomplete grades do not count toward this progress yet will count as attempted credits. Undergraduate students will not receive any honor rolls if they have an Incomplete grade.

      Undergraduate students may not graduate with any Incomplete grades on their academic record. It is important to complete courses where you have an I, as it may delay your graduation.