Information for employees

Important information for faculty and staff: updated March 31.

As we continue to monitor COVID-19 and the related public health guidelines, the well-being of our community remains our priority. These are extraordinary times, so we are implementing temporary exceptions to our policies to encourage social distancing and minimize the number of people on campus.

Visit COVID-19 HR Updates to review additional HR communications and resources for employees, and the COVID-19 Total Rewards page for information about benefits and pay..

Temporary pay practices related to COVID-19 referenced below apply to full-time and part-time (greater than 50% FTE) benefit eligible employees unless otherwise defined.

Information on remote work

Open All Tabs

Information on sick and vacation time, and FMLA

Open All Tabs
  • Does the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) apply for employees or immediate family members who may contract coronavirus?

    Yes, assuming an employee meets the eligibility criteria, COVID-19 would qualify as a “serious health condition” under FMLA, allowing an employee to take FMLA leave if the employee contracts the disease. FMLA leave is also available for an employee who needs time off if their family member contracts COVID-19 and the employee is required to care for their family member. The employee would be entitled to job reinstatement as outlined under FMLA guidelines.

  • If an employee contracts COVID-19, what type of pay are they eligible to receive?

    • Employees have accumulated sick time or Extended Illness Bank (EIB) that can be used for periods of illness, including for COVID-19.
    • If sick/EIB are exhausted, eligible staff can borrow up to 21 days for full paid coverage from their future sick/EIB bank.
    • Employees who are enrolled in short term disability should apply for benefits
    • Temporary and per diem employees, who are ineligible for paid sick time, are entitled to use up to the equivalent of 2 weeks of pay if they have symptoms related to COVID-19, they contract COVID-19 or are instructed to self-isolate.

  • If a department physically closes or it is advisable that employees not work on campus because of safety or other changing conditions, and there is no work to perform remotely what will happen with employees’ pay?

    Efforts will be made to redeploy staff to other areas but if this is not possible, they will be required to be accessible to perform other duties as needed and will remain in pay status via administrative-other for full-time employees for the duration of the temporary policy, currently through April 30, 2020.

  • What if my child’s school or regular care provider is closed?

    Employees unable to come to work due to a COVID-19 day care or school closure that requires them to be home with their child may work remotely if operationally feasible; if remote work is not operationally feasible, employees may use accrued paid leave time (sick leave/vacation or floating days) during this period.

    Employees may not bring children or any relatives to work with them, particularly during this time.

  • What if I am in a high-risk group identified by the CDC?

    Employees who fall into one of the high-risk groups as identified by the CDC and Miami-Dade County (older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions) and have notified their managers that they have an underlying chronic medical condition that makes them especially vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus are considered a priority in accommodating a work-from-home arrangement, wherever feasible. If a work from home arrangement is not possible, employees in this category will be eligible to use accrued paid time (sick leave/vacation or floating holidays) so that they may self-isolate at home to reduce risk. Employees in this category may be required to provide medical documentation.

  • What steps should my unit take to prepare for disruptions to business continuity?

    Units across the University are updating their emergency preparedness plans and creating business continuity plans, which would be activated in the event of a widespread impact to the community. For example, the University is creating additional support for technologies that allow faculty members and students to continue their teaching and learning activities with minimal disruption, even if classroom attendance or traditional instruction is not possible. We recommend that faculty, staff, and students learn how to use academic and business continuity tools before they are needed in the event COVID-19 reaches our campuses.

    All units, including those engaged in research, are strongly encouraged to review and update continuity plans to minimize the impact to ongoing projects as a result of future changes due to COVID-19. Visit for additional guidance.

  • What should I do if I am sick and need to see a doctor?

    Faculty and staff are advised to contact their primary care physician. If you are not able to quickly get an appointment, we are offering the following services to UM/Aetna medical plan members in an effort to remove barriers to care:

    Access to telemedicine visits at $0 copays for any reason via Teladoc through May 31, 2020. Teladoc gives members access to U.S. board-certified physicians through the phone or mobile app, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To access Teladoc ( you need to create an account using your UM/Aetna Member ID. You may locate your Aetna Member ID on your insurance card, or by downloading a card at

  • What happens if an asymptomatic employee who is otherwise able to work is told to self-isolate for 14 days as directed by UHealth Infection Control?

    Employees are required to work from home whenever possible. If the nature of employees’ job duties cannot be performed at home, they will receive administrative pay for the duration of self-isolation with HR approval.

  • If an employee contracts COVID-19, what type of pay are they eligible to receive?

    • Employees have accumulated sick bank or Extended Illness Bank (EIB) that can be used for periods of illness, including for COVID-19.
    • If sick/EIB banks are exhausted, employees who are enrolled in short term disability can apply for benefits and borrow up to 21 days for full paid coverage from their future sick time bank.
    • Temporary and per diem employees, normally ineligible for benefits, are entitled to 2 weeks of their normally scheduled time.

  • An employee is scheduled to begin employment with the University, but the department is unable to provide onboarding and on-the-job training at this time? What will happen with the new hire’s start date and pay?

    Leadership’s expectation is that managers will orient and train employees through remote use of technology during this period. If they require assistance, they should work with their HR Partners to engage UMIT andHR’s Talent and Organizational Development team for support in facilitating this type of virtual training.

  • What will happen to my vacation accrual if I had to cancel my travel plans as a result of COVID-19?

    Clinical and patient care employees were advised that they were restricted from traveling and will be eligible to roll over planned vacation time during COVID-19 for a 12-month period.

Information on technology

Open All Tabs

Information for UM/Aetna plan members

Open All Tabs

Information on travel

Open All Tabs

Information for managers

Open All Tabs
  • Should I ask for a doctor’s note from an employee returning from a quarantine period who otherwise reports being asymptomatic?

    Any employee returning from a quarantine period as a result of being medically ill with COVID-19 must secure a doctor’s note to be cleared to return to work. If an employee is unable to secure an appointment with a doctor or an urgent care facility, they must report to the employee clinic before returning to the workplace.

    If an employee was instructed by our Infection Control unit to self-isolate for up to 14 days following return from one of the countries identified, a doctor’s note is not required provided the full 14 days have expired.

  • Can I continue to hire during this time?

    Yes. Hiring managers would be working with their HR Partners to explore ways to screen and hire candidates remotely.  Wherever practical, we encourage extending start dates while work at home arrangements are in effect.

  • Are there telecommuting guidelines for managers?

    • Gables/ Marine
      • For Gables/Marine campus telecommuting guidelines, click here. For Gables/RSMAS UMIT remote access FAQs, click here.
    • UHealth/MSOM
      • For UHealth/MSOM telecommuting guidelines for managers, click here.

  • The TALK performance evaluation is scheduled to close May 1st. Will there be an extension so that the evaluations can be completed?

    We understand the challenges in completing a performance evaluation during this period. Additional time will be provided to allow supervisors to complete the TALK performance review with their direct reports.

  • When will new employee orientations take place?

    • New employee orientation sessions will take place on Mondays starting at 9:00 a.m. via live web-conference, Zoom.
    • ‘I am the U’ (orientation for all new hires) will take place on Mondays at 9:00 a.m.. At 10:30 a.m., all Coral Gables and marine campus employees will leave the session and medical campus employees will be given a 15-minute break before their next session begins.‘We Care’ (orientation for all medical new hires) will take place at 10:45 a.m. after the participants’ 15-minute break.

  • When will new employees complete their onboarding required education CBLs (computer-based learning)?

    • New employees will be given instructions on accessing their CBLs during their orientation sessions. They will be able to complete those CBLs after their orientation sessions. For technical issues, new employees are being asked to contact the appropriate IT office:
      • Gables/marine employees,contact IT at 305.284.6565 or
      • Medical employees,contact IT at 305.243.5999 or

  • Where can new employee’s pick-up their ID badges?

    • Only employees designated by their manager as needing to work on campus at this time are able to pick-up ID badges.
      • For Gables/marine campus: Supervisors will need to submit a Work Order detailing the access required and send an email to Nick Poynter (, Sr. Manager, Parking & Transportation Customer Service,with new hire details including the employee’s start date. The employee will receive a temporary ID to carry along with an official ID (such as a driver’s license) with them at all times while on campus.
        • Medical campus: Employees will need to go to the appropriate Public Safety office:
          • UHealth Tower employees can pick-up their ID at the Public Safety office located on the first floor of The Tower next to Starbucks.
          • All other medical essential employees can pick-up their ID at the Public Safety office located on 15th street.

  • Can temporary employees work from home?

    Yes, provided the temporary employee’s assignment 1) needs to continue, 2) can be performed remotely, and 3) there is funding, there is no reason why a temporary employee cannot work from home during this period.

Information on student employment

Open All Tabs

Information for UHealth and Miller School of Medicine community

Open All Tabs

Information on Mail Operations

Open All Tabs
  • What are the current details regarding mail operations on campus?

    Mail Operations on the Coral Gables campus:
    Location: 1101 Stanford Drive (Mahoney Pit)
    Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Office phone: 305-284-5255
    Manager: Luis Delgado
    Additional contact: Jon Fleming

    If you are unable to reach the office, call Auxiliary Services at 305-284-3584, or Armando Cuervo at 305-297-2114.

    • Departments are encouraged to contact Mail Operations at or 305-284-5255 to confirm whether their departments are open and accepting mail
    • Only one mail route is active daily; however, with advance notice, the route can be adjusted to add a stop the next day
    • Mail Operations only processes USPS incoming/outgoing and inter-departmental mail
    • Departments are asked to communicate with FedEx, UPS, DHL and Amazon directly to make arrangements; those carriers are able to re-route mail based on customer request
    • Departmental and Private PO Boxes located in the University Center must request that Mail Operations pull their mail and HOLD for pick up in the mailroom; customers may choose to file a temporary address change, if preferred

    Contact Luis Delgado at 305-284-5255 with any questions or for special requests/circumstances.